Saturday, April 26, 2008

The First Step

They say the first step is always the hardest. Maybe that's true, but sometimes I think it's the easiest. I write because there's a part of me that has to. I'm not a singer. I'm not a painter. I'm not even a very good photographer. No, what I am is a writer. That's how I express myself best. Even the words that come from my mouth do no justice to the feelings that pour forth from my fingers over a keyboard or a typewriter.

I've always been that way. Maybe it's because a part of me believes that the words I write down will never be read by anyone, and therefore I can say what I want without fear. That mindset has come back to bite me in the butt a few times, and likely will again. I'm sure I'll say some things on here that will ignite anger or resentment towards me, or hurt feelings and bruise egos. Seems I can't help but do that from time to time. I think that's because the same voice that tells me to write...tells me to write everything.

No matter how close to my heart. No matter how painful or secret, I long to express it. My friends can vouch for that. Many times have I come to them and said or shared something that they had no business knowing. It's just my nature. I can be mysterious, but I can also be an open book.

I kind of like it that way.

So, friends, strangers, and future friends...welcome to my blog. Little bits of my story, spattered on your computer screen for you to peruse and laugh at, skim and agree with (or disagree). And comment on. Can't forget that. Whenever I post something, there's always a moment of panic where I realize that other people will read this. But then the comments come in and I sit back and read them with a gleeful sense of accomplishment. The realization that, through my own feelings, I made others feel as well. Whether it's laughter, pleasure, pain or regret, I see through these comments that I'm not the only one feeling the way I do. There were many before me, and there will be many after. It's good to know that sometimes.

Happy reading. ;)

-Rob

1 comment:

STACY said...

eloquent and beautiful as always my friend...