Sunday, June 8, 2008

What my heart knows

I get the feeling sometimes, when I'm alone and looking up at the night sky and the clouds hover around the crescent moon, that something is looking back. That when I call, something hears me. That when I walk, something feels the treads of my shoes. That when I ask...something wants to give, and sometimes does.

There's something, I don't know what exactly, that lives in the small spaces, within the cracks of reality and the narrow seams of perception. That something is a part of me, and a part of you, and a part of everything and everyone that ever was or ever could be.

I call that presence God, though in my mind God is not an old man with a thundering voice commanding us to obey or face damnation. God is the breeze through my hair. God is the sand between my toes. God is the laughter of a child. God is the voice that tells me to live, to create, and to hope.

I have faith in this feeling. I will never doubt that I am not alone, nor ever could be. And I have faith that whatever this force is, it binds us together in ways we can only begin to imagine. That gives me hope. That gives me a reason to believe that humanity is destined for greater things, and that every act of heroism, whether great or small, that one of us commits...this force is ever stronger.

One day we will all see it, and know it for what it is. One day we will see each other, and recognize the thread wound between us all. One day...the voice I hear that pulls me forward, that whisper on the wind...one day that voice will sing, and we will sing with it.

No comments: