Thursday, May 5, 2011

Quit Playing Games With My Heart

*From my blog over at OkCupid, a dating site I've only rarely used for actual dating*

There's a phrase I keep coming across over and over again on this site, and really on every dating site I've explored over the past decade. That phrase is, "I don't want a man who plays games" or some variation thereof. Other versions include, "I don't play games, so keep on walking if you do," or, "Guys that only play games are a huge turnoff!"

First of all, I'm picturing a man playing Monopoly while a single tear streams down his cheek after he reads your profile. He probably looks like that creepy guy from The Lord of the Rings, but still...you just broke his heart.

What I'm wondering is, do you feel that you're actually eliminating a subset of the male population by adding this disclaimer? Are there men who see this and say, "Man, I play games. Better not contact this chick"?

Any bad guy will always believe he's a good guy. Any douchebag will believe he's a knight in shining armor. What purpose does it serve to warn away people who will never believe they are the ones being warned away? Said douchebag will only say to himself, "Oh this chick has been burned by some sleazy dudes before, huh? Other guys are such assholes. Now let's see if she'll meet me for a booty call in my dorm room next Friday."

Now I do see how this can be a way to exclude yourself from girls who are into random hookups. Maybe that's what you mean by "playing games". Fair enough I guess. But if you're really just trying to say that you want a serious relationship and nothing less than that, why not just say so?

So please, those of you that have used the phrase or are currently warning away players of games, tell me why you think it's an important thing to point out. I'd love some insight. Maybe you just suck at Monopoly.

Oh, and while I'm at it, stop making duck faces. There's a reason it's not called "attractive woman face".

No comments: